Spotlight On: MCT Oil
No, it doesn’t stand for Magical Coconut Tree Oil, but it should. Instead, MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides which are naturally found in coconut and palm kernel oils.
Because of its light flavor and nutritional benefits, I use it for salad dressings, put it in my coffee or superfood tea, and make an excellent mayonnaise with it. I just get it on Amazon but they also sell it at my local health food store for a few dollars more.
Smarter sciency people [wiki here] will tell you all about MCT Oil’s benefits, such as:
- It is more easily and rapidly digested than other fats, making it good for malabsorption issues (no bile or energy needed to digest.)
- It can help support a fat burning, instead of a sugar burning metabolism (more and sustained energy.)
- It is purported to stave off neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, by bypassing the liver and directly fueling the brain with ketones/triglycerides that the brain is lacking and needs to function.
- It can help you lose or manage your weight and increase your metabolism.
- Um, did I mention it makes an excellent mayo?
So slip some in Grandma’s (and your own) coffee every day, be smarter, faster and leaner, and enjoy 😉